Injured in an Uber or Lyft Accident in Chattanooga, TN?
The ridesharing industry is growing rapidly and changing the way people get around the Chattanooga area and throughout Tennessee. Companies like Uber, Lyft, and others are revolutionizing the way that people get rides, and they are doing it with a business model that is built around part-time drivers who use their personal vehicles to give rides to other people.
These rideshare drivers are not professional drivers, and they are not given the same kind of training that a professional driver would be given. As a result, we have seen numerous rideshare accident lawsuits, and we expect to see many more in the future.
The Hamilton Firm LLC is here to help you if you have been injured in a rideshare accident. We know that rideshare drivers are not given the same training as professional drivers, and that is why we are committed to holding ridesharing companies accountable for the injuries and damages that result from rideshare accidents.
If you have been injured in a rideshare accident, we can help you understand your legal options and help you recover the compensation you deserve. Call (423) 454-3288 today to speak with a Chattanooga rideshare accident attorney.
Trucking and car accidents can take a toll on your life. Our attorneys are here to help you get the compensation you deserve.Get Started Today
Tennessee law defines ridesharing services as Transportation Network Companies (TNCs). TNCs are businesses that connect passengers with drivers through a digital platform or application.
To become a rideshare driver in Tennessee, individuals must meet certain requirements, including:
- Age: Drivers must be at least 18 years old.
- Driver's License: Drivers must have a valid driver's license.
- Vehicle Registration: The vehicle used for ridesharing must be properly registered.
- Background Checks: TNCs are required to conduct background checks on their drivers, which may include criminal history and driving record checks.
TNCs in Tennessee are required to maintain insurance coverage that meets specific standards. The coverage must apply from the moment the driver accepts a ride request until the completion of the ride. The insurance coverage must include liability insurance, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, as well as contingent collision and comprehensive coverage.
Insurance Coverage While Riding with Uber or Lyft in TN
Uber and Lyft provide different levels of accident coverage depending on the driver's app status.
Here's an overview of their coverage policies:
- App is off: When the driver's app is off and they are not actively available to accept ride requests, Uber and Lyft do not provide any coverage for accidents that occur during this time. The driver's personal auto insurance would typically apply in such situations.
- App is on and waiting for a ride request: When the driver's app is on and they are waiting for a ride request, both Uber and Lyft provide contingent liability coverage. This coverage comes into effect if the driver's personal auto insurance doesn't apply or is insufficient. Uber and Lyft's contingent liability coverage includes third-party liability coverage for bodily injury (up to $50,000 per injury and $100,000 per accident) and property damage (up to $25,000) caused by the driver while they are waiting for a ride request. The coverage limits vary depending on the specific circumstances and local regulations.
- App is on and the driver is en route to pick up passengers or during rides: When the driver's app is on, and they are en route to pick up passengers or during an active ride, Uber and Lyft provide primary liability coverage. This coverage includes third-party liability for bodily injury and property damage caused by the driver. It also includes coverage for the driver's own injuries, subject to certain conditions and limits. The coverage is up to $1 million for third-party auto liability.
What are the Liability Issues Involved in Rideshare Accident Lawsuits?
Because rideshare drivers are not professional drivers, the ridesharing companies that employ them are not liable for the injuries and damages that result from an accident. Instead, the liability for these accidents falls on the driver who was using their personal vehicle to give rides to others.
In many cases, the driver's personal insurance will cover the accident because they were not acting as a rideshare driver at the time of the accident. However, if the driver's personal insurance company denies coverage, the ridesharing company may be liable for the accident. If the ridesharing company is found to be liable, the victim may be able to recover compensation for their injuries and damages from the ridesharing company's insurance policy.
It is important to note that ridesharing companies will often try to avoid liability by claiming that the driver was not "acting as a rideshare driver" at the time of the accident. They will argue that the driver was not on the clock and was simply using their personal vehicle to give rides to others. If the ridesharing company is found to be liable for the accident, the victim will likely only be able to recover compensation for their injuries and damages from the driver's personal insurance.
In these cases, the victim will have to prove that the driver was acting as a rideshare driver at the time of the accident. This may be difficult to do, but we know how to gather the evidence we need to prove our client's case.
Understanding Your Legal Options After a Rideshare Accident
After a rideshare accident, you may be confused about what to do next. You may not know if the rideshare company is liable for the accident or if you should file a claim against the driver's personal insurance. We can help you understand your options after a rideshare accident and help you move forward with your case.
Our team can help you if you have been involved in an accident with a rideshare driver. We have helped numerous people who have been injured in rideshare accidents. We know that rideshare drivers are not given the same amount of training as professional drivers, and that is why we are committed to getting victims of rideshare accidents the compensation they deserve.